Think of sport in Canada and the chances are that the first one that springs to mind is Ice Hockey. Nothing surpasses the NHL (National Hockey League) in terms of popularity and that also applies to Canadian sports betting.
There are numerous NHL betting markets available when it comes to ice hockey betting on an individual game, with the ‘Money Line’ being the most popular. This is simply a bet on which team will win.
In addition to these NHL lines, another popular betting market is the Handicap or, as it is known in NHL betting, the ‘Puck Line’. There are a range of other markets you can wager on too, such as the ‘Highest Scoring Period’ and ‘Correct Score’.
Should you prefer, you can also back the ‘3-Way Money Line’ in Regular Time, which includes the possibility of the draw.
It’s worth noting that NHL betting can be settled on the final score including overtime (including any penalty shootout if required) or excluding overtime, depending on the terms of the specific market in question.
For those willing to tie their money up for a longer period of time, you can also wager on the long-term markets over the course of the NHL season, both from a team and individual perspective.
NHL Betting Odds
The Money Line is the most popular form of NHL betting, with it being a case of simply picking the winner of any given match. For any betting novices out there, the NHL Lines prices can look somewhat confusing at first. In reality they are fairly straightforward, with the team being the favorite to win being assigned a negative value, whilst the underdog is given a positive value.
For example, in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and San Jose Sharks, the Canucks might be given odds of +150, whilst the Sharks might be available at -180. That would equate to the Canucks being the underdogs, so were you to wager $10 on them to win the match (+150), you would be looking at a profit of $15 if they won. Had you backed them with $100 and they won, you would be looking at a $150 profit. Were you to back the Sharks (-180), you would have to wager $18 to win $10 or $180 to win $100.
NHL Betting Offers
NHL betting is available on every game throughout the season, but there are also plenty of popular long-term hockey betting markets available too, so here’s a quick rundown of just a few of those available to wager on:
- Stanley Cup Winner – Which team will win the season’s ultimate prize?
- Eastern Conference Winner – Who will secure the Eastern Conference title at the end of the regular season?
- Western Conference Winner – Who will claim the Western Conference title at the end of the regular season?
- Top regular season point-scorer
- Calder Memorial Trophy – Awarded to the player selected as Rookie of the Year (i.e. in his first year of competition in the NHL)
- Hart Memorial Trophy – Awarded to the NHL’s MVP (the player judged most valuable to his team in the NHL over the course of the regular season)
- James Norris Memorial Trophy – Awarded to the best defenceman during the regular season
- Rocket Richard Trophy – Awarded to the top goalscorer during the Regular Season
- Vezina Trophy – Awarded to the top goalie during the regular season
NHL Betting Tips
Over the course of the NHL season, http://www.Onlinesportbetting.ca will provide regular NHL betting tips and predictions.
It promises to be a thrilling battle for the Stanley Cup, with Washington Capitals and Minnesota Wild vying for favoritism in the current NHL odds, but with Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers all very much in contention.